Have You Had Your Chimney Professionally Inspected?
Can you remember the last time you had your chimney and fireplace inspected by a trained, experienced, and certified professional? The National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) and the Chimney Safety Institute of America (CSIA) recommend that every homeowner, regardless of the age of their system or the amount of use it sees, have their chimney inspected every single year. Of course, there are some other situations that demand a professional inspection as well including:
- Installation of a new appliance
- Flue relining
- Change in fuel or appliance type
- Change in safety, efficiency, or functionality
- Sale or transfer of the home
- Chimney fire
- Earthquake or extreme weather
The Levels Of Inspection
There are 3 levels of inspections as determined by the NFPA & the CSIA. Here’s a quick breakdown of what each level includes and when each is necessary:
- Level 1 – Level 1 inspections are basic inspections that are typically performed during a chimney sweeping service or when a new appliance is being installed. No disassembly is required during a Level 1 inspection, but the entire accessible portion of the chimney is looked at. We’ll check for blockages in the flue and make sure the appliance is properly connected.
- Level 2 – Level 2 inspections are recommended when a change is occurring. For example, if you’ve noticed a change in the safety or functionality of your system, or if you’re switching appliance or fuel types. You’ll also need a Level 2 inspection when having your flue relined, selling your home, or after a chimney fire. In addition to checking all accessible parts of the chimney system, attic, basement, and crawlspace, we’ll check for proper clearance from combustibles, proper construction, and evaluate the condition of the chimney using video scanning.
- Level 3 – Level 3 inspections are a bit more invasive and will typically be saved for situations when a Level 1 or Level 2 inspection can’t get to the bottom of the issue. These inspections may involve some demolition work, but all affected areas will be discussed with the home owner before demolition begins.
Our Technicians Get A Better Look With Chim-Scan Chimney Video Inspections
Do you know what condition your chimney is in? Even if you shine a flashlight up there, it’s tough to get a close look at the flue liner from top to bottom. But here at Atlas Chimney, we know how important it is to know about cracks, blockages, and other issues that can compromise the safety and function of your chimney system. That’s why we highly recommend Chiim-Scan inspections when we’re in your home.
With Chim-Scan, we insert a camera system into your chimney and take a look at the interior from top to bottom. We’ll see your chimney flue up close and personal on a TV monitor, which will allow us to identify any liner or chimney wall damage. All of our Level 2 and Level 3 inspections include the use of Chim-Scan. We can also provide you with a recording for your records.
Schedule You Chimney Inspection Today!
Have you scheduled your annual inspection? Don’t build the first fire of the season without having Atlas Chimney’s professional technicians evaluate your system! We have the experience and knowledge to identify when a more thorough inspection is needed and will discuss everything in detail before beginning. Call us today at 512-CHIMNEY or click here to schedule your appointment!